From the CTO
In May, I started working with ONRAD in a new role as the Chief Technology Officer. With a new company-wide focus on strengthening our technology, I am pleased to announce that the IT team is currently working with our RIS vendor, ThinAir Data, to implement a major RIS upgrade. The computer hardware that the RIS runs on will be overhauled, which will allow for a “virtualized” platform that uses VMWare to drive a powerful, fault-tolerant environment.
These changes create an ideal web-based platform for the new ThinAir RIS, “TRIS 7”. TRIS 7 has a modern look and feel with all the intuitive web-based features that users expect to see in modern software applications. This new “cloud” based platform will provide our customers with many benefits including:
- Modern, web-based GUI that is easy to navigate and does not require and special communication ports, such as RDP. Full, secure and encrypted access over standard internet ports, such as SSL (HTTPS).
- Access and print reports from the system with standard Windows-based drivers for printers – any PC with web access and a printer can be used as a workstation to view and print reports.
- Scan and upload paperwork with standard TWIAN based scanners, or just attaching documents directly to orders.
- Track ONRAD’s workflow in real-time through a worklist customized for each facility.
- Requests for electronic reports transmission (via HL7 or direct access through RIS) can be accommodated quickly to reduce the expense and hassle of fax-based report delivery. (Of course, fax delivery is still available for customers who choose that.)
- The VMWare platform allows ONRAD to run multiple instances of the RIS application and database across multiple physical hardware devices. Even in the event of a complete hardware failure of the production system, a redundant system will be available to customers immediately.
- In the event of a software corruption event, multiple “point-in-time” backup copies of the entire RIS application will be available to restore the system to any point in time – within seconds.
- The system architecture allows ONRAD to do maintenance while the system is 100% online, so customers have 24/7/465 access.
We are currently in the installation phase. As the software is installed and configured, we will be contacting system users to being scheduling demonstrations and training. If you wish to schedule a demonstration with us either remotely or in person at either AHRA Fall Conference in Las Vegas, or RSNA in Chicago, please contact our IT department at firstname.lastname@example.org. “Go-live” of the new RIS is scheduled for Winter 2011.
For ONRAD customers, routine updates will be provided as the project progresses.
Chief Technology Officer
Phone: 800-848-5876 x2301